Monday, March 06, 2006

South of the Border

At least it wasn’t another race at California. I mean I did stay awake to watch this race. That should speak volumes in and of itself. I really did enjoy the race at times, and congratulations are due to Denny Hamlin at winning his first Busch series win.

Probably the most interesting thing about this race is how Kyle Bush continues to be more and more like his brother. I understand there is a fine line between winning a race and losing a race. Just ask Ricky Craven and Kurt Bush about that Darlington race a few years ago. But what Kyle did on Sunday can only be called bone headed. He took a car that contended for the win and regulated himself to having to fight for a top 10, and in the process upset about 75,000 Mexican fans and took out another competitor. Maybe Kyle will learn patience but if he doesn’t learn it soon he’ll have a hard time in racing.

As long as we are discussing racing in Mexico, let me be one to voice my displeasure in wanting to bring Nextel Cup to Mexico. Yes I know we are looking at two big new markets for NASCAR in the form of our neighbors to the south and the north, but this is a mistake. There are so many tracks in our own country that want to host Cup races that giving one to tracks outside the US is a mistake. Again I’m all for growing the sport. And while I believe that people will come to these races as opposed to the debacle in California last week, I believe there should be a concentration on remembering where NASCAR came from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home