Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Racing was built here, racing belongs here.

Today NASCAR finally announced that the hall of fame will be in Charlotte, NC. My thoughts? This is probably one of the best decisions I’ve seen NASCAR make in the last few years. I think that the other three finalists were worthy, but Charlotte just plain makes sense. With over 80% of full time teams based near Charlotte it makes for a “NASCAR Destination”. This means for the diehard NASCAR fan you can spend a lot of time in Charlotte going to the race shops, visiting the Hall of Fame, and dropping by Lowe’s Motor Speedway. I’m almost positive you will now have people that spend their week vacation in Charlotte doing just that.

For the other cities that were competing for this prize congratulations on the proposals made and the efforts put forth.

Kansas City ~ I know you wanted this but please be real. Kansas? You’ve had what 3 races? Sorry I’m not driving to Kansas for this.

Richmond ~ You now have one of the highest profile races on the schedule with the Chase cut off. You have a great location being on I – 95. But to me you just weren’t high enough profile. I can’t even find a diecast store in Richmond at the moment. Course maybe there would have been one with the hall.

Atlanta ~ Yes you are the corporate hub of the south. But, you are the track that gave up the last race of the year because the championship hadn’t been decided there in a couple of years. Still kicking yourself about that one?

Daytona ~ Stop whining! You have THE crown jewel in NASCAR. You have Daytona USA. Everyone knows Daytona in the racing world. It’s not like you’re Darlington who has to worry about if they are going to hold on to their one race a year for dear life. People will still come to Daytona for 2 weeks every winter. And people still come every week of the year. It’s Florida for crying out loud. I’m going there in November.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home