Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Hotlanta! Even When It's Wet.

I think more happened in the 3 days at Atlanta than most of this season combined. Maybe this means we are finally getting into the NASCAR season. After waking up from the California race anyways.

First of all let’s talk a little about the actual race. I admit I may have underscored Kasey Kahne in my power rankings this past week. I knew he was on the pole by the time I posted that but really did not think he was going to go win the race on me. Congratulations are due though. Not only to the Dodge Dealers crew but also to everyone that continues to stick with Dodge’s official entry. To me running the Intrepid is like a ford team running the Taurus this year. I know it is within the rules to still run them but it does defeat the purpose of having the Charger.

I did not get to watch this race. I was highly disappointed that I did not get to watch. I mean how am I to comment on a race I was unable to watch. Thank you Speed Channel for replaying races. It was a good race to watch. There was real racing. Side by side action, and lots of drama were on the bill for this race. What is better than Kurt Busch and Kevin Harvick going for another round, and with Bristol next? It will be interesting to say the least.

Mark Martin is still waiting there ready to pounce on the Chase when it rolls around in September. His runs this year and especially a win and some more top five runs will keep him there by the time Richmond comes up. Dale Jr. showed that while Atlanta is good to him, he could overcome difficulties that would have kept him down last year. He came from the back twice during the race after having tired problems. Handling, something he missed last year, was the reason he could deal with it. I think that has something to do with Tony Jr. being on the box.

Jeff Gordon has put together two top 5 finishes and shows we can’t forget him even if we want to. Paul Menard was a pleasant surprise to the top 10 finishers though. After missing Daytona I did not give him much of a chance and I’m a DEI fan. Maybe he does have some talent after all. Here is hoping that with Dale Jr. Truex Jr. and Menard DEI can put a dominant product on the track. And speaking of good things and coming back I hope that Kyle Petty continues to finish well. I’d like to see Petty make the Chase. That would show a turn around in a struggling program.

By the way if you are still asleep from California it is time to wake up we are going short track racing. I do not think it is possible to have a boring race at Bristol.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home